Thursday, April 23, 2009

Going Green...Sorta

I have started recording Oprah and watching it after the kids go to bed. Sometimes I delete them, but many times they are worth watching. Yesterday was Earth Day, and in true 'green' fashion, Oprah's show was about conservation and all things Earth friendly. I rolled my eyes, but Ken was at the gym and the kids were in bed, so I decided to watch it. I am not a "green" person. I find it annoying that it has become some trendy thing, and most efforts to be green seem to take either time or money, and I already have my hands full. (Not the best attitude, I know, but I am trying to be completely honest).

She started the show by discussing the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. I was blown away. I had no idea something like this existed. It is a mass of trash that has collected in the Pacific Ocean. It is not from some corporate giant illegally dumping in the ocean. This island of trash (it is estimated to be twice the size of Texas) has formed from run-offs. (Cup flows down the sewer, to lake, to river, to ocean, etc.)

Take this situation and think about how many times this has happened to you: you are at the park with your adorable children. They have goldfish crackers in a plastic baggie, the crackers are gone and the wind picks up and whoosh, the baggie is caught in the wind and you can't catch it. You feel bad, but you don't worry about it, you TRIED to catch the bag, right? That bag and millions of others might have wound up in this patch of trash.

It hit a cord. It doesn't matter if I have to wash out my trash so it can go in the recycle bin. It doesn't matter if I have to pay money for reusable grocery bags. What does matter, is that the entire ocean does not end up like this. What does matter is that my children have a beach to take their kids to. What I do or don't do, does have an impact.

I don't think I will become a total green freak overnight. I will still drive my suburban, I will still probably leave too many lights on during the day, but my social consciousness has been raised. I am aware, and I am responsible.

I have decided to start with reducing the amount of plastic we consume in our home. I bought reusable grocery bags this morning at the store and am about to purchase reusable sandwich bags as well. (http://www.freshsnackpack.com, I like these because you can still see what is in them). If anyone else has ideas for reducing the plastic they use, please share! It's small, but it is a start.

2 comments:

  1. Right now, we just recycle cans at our house. Abby Grace loves helping me stomp them! It has been my plan for a while now to collect our milk cartons and take them to Wal-Mart's plastic bin periodically.

    Glad you are joining the "green" club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- crazy, crazy. Well, I will have to give Bill props for buying the reusable target cloth bags the other day :) Go Keri! Go Bill!

    ReplyDelete